Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Where I left off......

It was a long hard week and while I was deep in sadness, I continued to cook, bake and be in my kitchen. I made so many delicious things, I took photos, wrote recipes, but I just didn't have the heart to post anything or take my thoughts away from Queen Elizabeth. Today I woke up with so much hope and the sun was so bright and I thought it amazing...the human condition to feel so many things, so big, so strongly in such short intervals of time. It made me smile to think about how enduring the heart truly is, the drive to keep going.......so today I am back, and loving my food peace mission.

Some of what was created this weekend:

Confetti Rice with Corn Crusted Tofu and Broccoli.......









....Vegan Boca Burger on Whole Grain Bread with Lettuce, Vegan Mayo, Yellow Mustard and Chili Pepper with Home Made Cabbage Coleslaw....





...last night was Taco night:
(I ate 3!) Corn Tortilla Tacos Stuffed with Seasoned Seitan, Vegan Cheese, Tomatoes, Shredded Lettuce, Tofu Sour Cream and Guacamole.....






and today, I named my plate; "My Body Is a Furnace"......
Tofu Scramble with Tempeh Bacon, Whole grain toast and left over Shredded Salad
.....




...and yes I ate that whole plate......






So while I was in the kitchen I looked over on the counter at my Cuisinart Food Processor and next to it were bananas, once gorgeous and golden now BLACK. So banana bread it was to be.

I used the recipe out of my book and this bread came out AWESOME.....I am not sure if I doubled the recipe in the book because after years of making the recipes, this one is still in my memory and I can make it by heart- IT MAY VARY FROM THE RECIPE IN THE BOOK (cause that's how I roll). Before you start your Mis En Place, preheat the oven.

So what I did today was:
  • mash 3 bananas and set them aside in a bowl.
  • In another bowl, I sifted the dry ingredients (except the sucanat and walnuts, put them in the bowl before sifting):
  • 3 1/2c barley flour
  • 1/2c sucanat
  • 2t cinnamon
  • 2t baking soda
  • 2t baking powder
  • 1 t salt
  • 2c chopped walnuts- reserve 1/2c for the top of the loaves
In a glass measuring cup I mixed the wet ingredients:
  • 1/2c canola oil
  • 1/2c maple syrup
  • 1T vanilla
  • 2t apple cider vinegar
  • 1 1/4c rice/soymilk
  • banana mash
Mix the wet into the dry and mix just until well incorporated. This made two loaves but can be poured into cake pans or muffin pans. Sprinkle the top of the loaves with 1t (for each loaf) crystal sugar and the remaining walnuts. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, check and turn the bread and bake for an additional 20 minutes. FRICKEN YUM.........SO DELICIOUS....if you are lucky, you'll get a piece!.......XOE


No comments:

Post a Comment