Saturday, February 26, 2011

Rice Pudding


OH MY....yesterday's snow hit me like a ton of bricks with bad moods.......argggggghhhhh.....I drove into Brattleboro to teach a class I was subbing for a friend- I was a bit grumbly......Class was small as was to be expected with the sh*t storm happening at a clip only to matched by the Weather Girls' It's Raining Men...I was in town until about 12:15 and the snow hadn't let up at all. I almost got stuck again pulling out onto Main St and the highways were no better. 91 we were moving about 30 mph single lane, and then there were those who were blowing by (I saw one of them later spun out into the median).
I pull into Putney and started to go up rt 5 just through town and there was a line of cars- stopped. GREAT.....GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT...home seemed SO far away, it took forever for me to get this far!!!! ARRRGGHHHH..... I waited for a bit and then got out of my car to see what was happening. Cars had just spun out around the bend, out of town plates, two wheel drive.....not going anywhere...Cars were trying to go up AND come down...it was a mess. The line behind me grew longer and longer. Almost an hour I was there so when it was my turn to navigate the bend, it felt fantastic to clear it- no problem, now I just have the remaining 4 miles of uphill to go. All in all, by the time I got home I was DONE, my stomach was upset and all I wanted was easy mellow uncomplicated food. RICE PUDDING......it hit me so clearly... I knew what I was going to be smelling cooking in the house. But what about dinner???
Who cares...I started on the Rice Pudding.
I scoured the web for rice pudding recipes and adapted this version to be made entirely without any dairy- it came out so delicious- heavenly actually...it was creamy and warming- JUST what I was in the mood for. I have to say, it is pretty uncomplicated, and super satisfying in every way.
  • 3/4c white basmati rice
  • 1 1/2 cup water
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 cups soy/rice milk (or other nondairy milk)
  • 2c Silk Creamer
  • 1/2 cup agave
  • 1T vanilla
  • 2t cinnamon
In a large saucepan, place the rice, salt and water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low and cover, continuing to simmer for approximately 15 minutes or until the water is absorbed and the rice is cooked and tender.
In a bowl or large measuring cup/ container, mix the soymilk, creamer and agave and cinnamon and then add to the rice, mixing gently, everything together with a whisk until all is well incorporated. Keep the heat on low, stirring frequently- every 15 minutes or so, cooking for 30–40 minutes until the mixture is thick and creamy.
Once cooked, remove the pot from the heat and stir in the vanilla and top with more cinnamon. This is unbelieveable warm but it was just as if not even more delicious this morning......and again this afternoon ;)

I still couldn't quite figure out what I wanted for dinner. I really wanted pasta with *butter* - no greens, no sauce- just a big bowl of white pasta with butter-but we didn't have any pasta left and it was STILL snowing! I keep Rice Pasta in the cupboard so I made a Vegetable Soup with Rice Pasta, spirals with just a simple broth base (onion, carrots, celery, ginger and veggie bouillon), and I packed it with cauliflower, spinach and pasta spirals. This was equally satisfying- one of my most favorite soups. You can vary it by using different vegetables or by adding tofu or beans - it is never disappointing.........UNLIKE THIS SNOW.....

No comments:

Post a Comment