Thursday, February 3, 2011

Day 7



It was good to leave the house today, went to spin and it was also good to sweat! I was reading through a new cookbook; Angelica's Kitchen which is the book from the famous vegan, organic restaurant in NYC's lower east side. I actually got the book for the Cornbread recipe. When I worked at Real Food Daily in LA, they made a similar recipe but there was something about how it came when I would order it in NY- austerely on a white plate with Miso Tahini Spread, mixed baby salad greens and sprouts, that made it taste better. So last night, I knew I needed to get some apple juice and replenish my rolled oats to make the bread today.

I came home and started the brown rice, making extra keeping in mind my Dragon Bowl dinner later after Yoga class, so I made extra. The recipe is super easy and straight forward and yields a deliciously dense and satisfying cornbread. I of course wiggled with the recipe a bit:
  • 2c cooked brown rice
  • 1 1/3c ground oats
  • 1 1/4c cornmeal
  • 1/4c ground corn (polenta corn meal)
  • 3c apple juice
  • 1T salt
  • 1/4 coconut oil
  • 2t sesame seeds
  • mixed together and poured into a greased loaf pan and cooked at 350 for 75 minutes.


I made the Miso Tahini spread as well. What I love about both the Kripalu and
Angelica cookbooks is the emphasis on whole foods and for the most part, once your kitchen is stocked with the essentials- it is ridiculously easy to eat wonderful food- all-of-the-time.

While that was baking in the oven I made Kimpira, a traditional Japanese saute of Burdock root, carrots, and onions, sesame oil, olive oil and tamari. This is one of my most favorite dishes.

  • 3 large burdock roots, sliced
  • 1/2 large onion, sliced
  • 2 carrots, sliced
  • 2t toasted sesame oil
  • 2T olive oil
  • 3T tamari
The burdock root is earthy and nutty and the carrots and onions get caramelized and sweeten the deep saltiness of the tamari. Burdock root is known more in asian cultures and quite a bit in macrobiotic cooking and is also known for it's healing and healthful qualities.



So I ate Kimpira with rice for lunch, and I will have my dragon bowl (tofu, kale and brown rice stir fry) with the cornbread/miso tahini spread for dinner.
Another good day of food and blessings.... ;0)


No comments:

Post a Comment