Monday, February 7, 2011

Day 10 & 11

This Superbowl Sunday was all about leftovers and cleaning out what was still around...A little enchilada, some blueberry muffins......Not being a huge football fan, we went out for dinner- Thai food. I was so so excited for Pad Thai- all day! I was going to bring my phone in and take it's picture.....mmmmmmmmmm Pad Thai with no eggs or fish sauce please!

We drove to the restaurant and we both were pretty hungry and looking forward to dinner. We ordered Veggie Coconut Soup and Fresh Salad Rolls with no shrimp- both were SO delicious and satisfying and came quickly so my anticipation for the main course was building. Then I see our waiter coming over with our Pad Thai...yum yum yum yum....... He placed the dish down in front of me and I was like.....HUH? The plate just didn't look right....... THIS ISN'T Pad Thai???$#@!

Admittedly I am a bit picky...... and a lot particular, so when they brought over the plate of Vermicelli (thin) Rice noodles I just had to laugh to myself......all I could think of was that the chef was in the kitchen thinking "silly white girls won't know the difference".......They had a fishy tasting undertone - I told them I was allergic to guarantee no fish sauce- a typical ingredient in the dish- but I was assured they were made without it....so after all that I wasn't going to make a fuss and send it back, my enthusiasm was somewhat deflated but I ate it and it tasted ok...I loved my company and no one was harmed in making my dinner...........wasn't Pad Thai though...

Which brings me to today............ I had my first ethical struggle and it's been in the making...........EGGS.

When we moved to Vermont, Claudine gifted me with 26 glorious little chick girls (actually 25, Frannie turned out to be Frankie!). I have watched them scratch, eat, dance around, take dirt baths, sun baths, lay eggs, get sick, many have passed on but oh how I love them. Each one has such a way and a personality to them, such characters. It was during the past 6 years that I truly was vegetarian, eating lots of cheese and eggs and loving it all- it was local, the eggs were from my girls and it wasn't until my recent choice to go vegan that I started to question everything again. My girls have never been broody- not one chick has been hatched at Benevolent Acres- they just lay the eggs and leave them....when they are free ranging they leave them EVERYWHERE! These animals are a part of my family, some of them would beg to come into the house to be with us.... I love them with all of my heart.

That being said, my girls work hard and have to endure long cold nights- it seems disrespectful to not use or share their gifts. So I have revised my commitment to being vegan....I will partake in eggs.... but only from my girls.....


Loli with Sinead

No comments:

Post a Comment