Sunday, January 30, 2011

Day 3



It’s Sunday and I am partial to Sundays. I had a really strong yoga practice this morning and it was nice to feel like I am finally coming over the hump of this cold. I could be delusional and it could also be that today was the first morning I didn’t struggle for a breath- but my practice seemed lighter, happier. Even in the juicy bits of practice, like in double pigeon, I was so
calm, so present. My thoughts are not about my body but about my service, my contribution- my practice as such. It was awesome.

I don’t recall if Sunday dinners were a big part of my family upbringing or if it was just watching the Sopranos too many times that impressed upon me the grace of a good Sunday dinner. Maybe it’s because there seems to be a spaciousness about Sundays that gives me the inspiration to create really delicious food. Tonight I am preparing Vegan Lasagna. In the past, I have always used a vegan base for my lasagna but I would add fresh mozzarella to the mixture- so tonight, day 3, I am omitting the dairy and going all out in the name of peace.

After yoga practice, I love to go food shopping. I seem to have a mental clarity in regards to the choice items that land in my basket- I left this morning thinking to myself “I have good groceries today”. I came home with a new vegan cheese and also a tried and true favorite vegan cheese- made by Follow Your Heart. I use the “Monteray Jack” instead of their Mozz because to me, it has more flavor. They also make my favorite mayonnaise- in the –world- called Veganaise- vegan or not- I use it for everything…sandwiches, salad dressing, I of course use the Organic one.…. So for the “ricotta”, I am doing a blend, part monteray jack, and the new “cheese” that “melts and stretches” by Daiya, in my tofu mix.(tofu, miso, tahini, garlic, olive oil, ume vinegar & brown rice vinegar).


I usually add cooked kale into the mixture but today I was drawn to spinach so I added that in as well. Simple Veg Lasagna served with Garlic Sautéed Kale. YUM……

For the noodles, I use Tinkyadas Organic Brown Rice Lasagna which is DELICIOUS……You would never know it was rice pasta OR whole grain- so for me, it doesn’t make any sense to use white flour pasta for this dish- although it would be just as scrumptious if one was so inclined.

I made the sauce, made the "ricotta" and boiled the brown rice pasta. The assembly goes pretty quickly as soon as all of the components are made. First, a ladle of sauce, then pasta, then a layer of “ricotta”, then noodles, then a layer of sauce, then vegan cheese, then the last layer of “ricotta”, covered by the last layer of noodles- topped with a generous amount of sauce and some more vegan cheese. This bakes for about 45 minutes to an hour at 350. When there is about 10 minutes to go, I prepare the greens and any other parts to the meal; maple glazed carrots, kale sauteed in olive and garlic, and dinner is served!


1 comment:

  1. This was even delicious cold! I was worried the the vegan cheese would get hard and funky but it stayed creamy and smooth- even cold!

    ReplyDelete